House Fire

Residents reminded to practice wood stove safety following house fire

Contact Us

The St. Marys Fire Department believes a wood stove/chimney issue was to blame for a blaze that destroyed a home in Perth South this past weekend.

On Sunday, April 15, 2018, firefighters were called to a property on Perth Road 130. Flames had erupted just before 8:30 a.m. in the century-old home, causing an estimated $350,000 in damage. The lone occupant was alerted by the sound of a smoke alarm and managed to escape without injury.

Upon arrival, firefighters could see smoke and flames through the second storey windows. Flames were also coming through the roof of the home. Given the severity of the fire, Fire Chief Richard “Andy” Anderson decided to activate a Mutual Aid response from the Sebringville Fire Department, requesting two tanker trucks.

Firefighters worked tirelessly to extinguish the house fire while battling a severe ice storm. “Fighting fires is always a challenge” said Anderson. “Low temperatures can be especially problematic, leading to frozen equipment, firefighter fatigue and unseen hazards.”

Paramedics were placed on standby in the event of any injuries, though none were reported. Firefighters battled the blaze for four hours before the flames finally gave up.

Residents who own wood stoves should make sure that they are installed and maintained properly, and heed the following safety tips:

  • Inspect and clean your chimney
  • Maintain an appropriate chimney cap on top of your chimney
  • Check stove pipes and connections
  • Protect floors and walls from heat and sparks
  • Burn dry wood
  • Remove ashes safely
  • Install carbon monoxide alarms

- 30 –


Brett O’Reilly | Corporate Communications & Events Manager
519-284-2340, ext. 432 |