A popular feature of the St. Marys Museum is the area for research into local history. A new wing for this community archives was opened in June 2006. The addition to the north of the original building is completely accessible and is well used by researchers throughout the year.
The archive resources include but are not limited to:
The archives also features St. Marys newspapers dating back to 1857. This newspaper collection was officially donated to the Museum in March 2007 by their last private owner. In recognition, the research area has been named: R. Lorne Eedy Archives.
Archival resources are available for researcher access anytime during our open hours. We do encourage researchers to call ahead if they plan on using one of the microfilm readers so that we can ensure its availability. We also encourage researchers to call ahead if they foresee that they are going to require full staff assistance during their visit.
Admission to the Archives, including a brief orientation from staff, is free of charge. Copies may be made of select archival materials for a fee.
Over 2500 of the St. Marys Museum's historic photographs have been digitized and are available for viewing online. The images on the website are watermarked low resolution reproductions. Both electronic and printed high resolution copies are available through the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
To donate an artifact, or find out more about the donation process, please contact the Curator/Archivist.