What You Need to Know About Sodium in Drinking Water Fact Sheet
Sodium is a mineral that can be found in drinking water. It is also one of the chemical elements found in table salt (known as sodium chloride). Sodium is not considered a toxic element; up to 5000mg (5g) of sodium a day is consumed by normal adults. Analysis of sodium testing conducted over the past 20 years in St. Marys has shown no measurable increase of sodium in our drinking water.
The human body needs sodium in order to maintain blood pressure, control fluid levels and for normal muscle and nerve function. Sodium occurs naturally in various levels in all foods. Sodium in drinking water is not a health concern for most people. However, sodium may be an issue for someone with severe hypertension, congestive heart failure or people on a sodium-restricted diet.
For more information on sodium in drinking water please see our Fact Sheet.
What You Need to Know About Door to Door Water Testing
Reference from the Ministry of the Environment (MOE) website
- No door-to-door sales people are authorized to make a health-based test on your water, they are not connected to the municipality in any way.
- Door-to-door water tests do not tell you about water safety.
- Chemical trickery may make your water look brown, just because of natural mineral content.
- If you have any concerns about water safety, contact the Ontario Clean Water Agency (OCWA) at 519-271-9701 or the Town of St. Marys at 519-284-2340.
For more information on door-to-door water testing sales tactics please see the CBC Marketplace information here.
The Drinking Water Quality Management System (DWQMS)
The Town of St. Marys Policy on the DWQMS
The Town is committed to:
· Ensuring a consistent supply of safe, high quality drinking water
· Maintaining and continually improving it’s quality management system
· Meeting and surpassing applicable regulations and legislation
A copy of the Town of St. Marys Well Supply Operational Plan is available for viewing at the Municipal Operations Centre, 408 James St. S., St. Marys during regular business hours.
Ontario Clean Water Agency (OCWA) - 519-271-9071
Environmental Coordinator - Dave Blake - 519-284-2340 ext 209
View Compliance Reports
Town of St. Marys, Water Financial Plan